This is Team Life for Leiki's 11th year participating with Great Strides (2021 Great Rides) and cystic fibrosis foundation taking strides to make cf stand for CURE FOUND. This year is big for Leiki, she will start taking Trikafta just days after her 12th birthday (April 6th). Leiki is already a fun, energetic, imaginative child, so we can't wait to see what this new medication does for her and her quality of life. Right now Leiki's daily reginmen to manage her health is...
- 24 to 26 enzymes pills with meals and snacks per day; these are to help her digest and absorb foods.
- In the mornings she does breathing treatments of 4 different medications, along with her CPT vest. We're hoping 2 to 3 of those inhaled medication go away after taking Trikafta for awhile.
- She has spent roughly 3-6 hours of breathing treatments, vest and hand CPT therapy per day since she 5 months old.
According to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Patient Registry, in the United States:
- More than 30,000 people are living with cystic fibrosis (more than 70,000 worldwide).
- Approximately 1,000 new cases of CF are diagnosed each year.
- More than 75 percent of people with CF are diagnosed by age 2.
- More than half of the CF population is age 18 or older.
I invite you to make cf stand for CURE FOUND by donating, participating with Team Life for Leiki and sharing her story like so many others. This year Great Strides is Great RIDES - Team Life for Leiki is participating virtually, you can do so too. We look forward to seeing your steps taking strides to finding a cure!!