Hi family and friends!,
Please take a moment to read about someone near and dear to my heart. My best friend, Erica Tarnacki, is the mother of a beautiful, sweet and rambunctious little 5 year old boy named Lincoln. He loves cars, trucks and trains, his little sister Abigail and running around in nothing but his diaper and anything outdoors! He's so incredibly adorable! Lincoln was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis about a week after he was born. His mom and dad work their booties off day in and day out fighting this disease. Please take a moment to read the following letter. In it she describes what exactly CF is, how it affects their family, and what is being done to find a cure. If you feel like this is something you're inclined to join, share or make a donation, we would very greatly appreciate it! Great Strides is working very hard to find a cure for this horrible disease. The government provides zero funding towards research for this illness so every little bit counts! Thank you for your consideration!
I just want to start by thanking all of you for your unwavering support of Team Linky every year. Last year we raised over $10,000 and in total you have helped raise over $30,000 since we started on this crazy ride!! Y'all, that is incredible and I am forever grateful to each and every one of you!
I had the opportunity to be a part of The Great Strides National Team conference call on Wednesday and got to hear from dozens of CF Moms and Dads from across the country. It was so inspirational and moving to hear all of their stories and what they are doing to help fight this terrible disease.
The theme of the call was "writing your love letter" and that couldn't be a more fitting title because that's exactly what all these emails, letter and posts are. They are a letter of love to all of you, because without you, none of this is possible. Without all of you there would be $30,000 less going to fight this disease that Lincoln, our family and doctors fight every single day. They are a love letter to Lincoln because the love for Lincoln is the reason we are doing all of this, he is the reason we are fighting! So know that the reason for all of this, all the hard work and effort put in, is love!
Ive learned that community is so important in facing our trials and I can't do this alone. Thankfully I am surrounded with an amazing support group of people. There is only so much I can do and I have to ask for help.
My goal is to spread the word as far as possible. If each of you could help spread the word to 10 people, we could do wonderful things for Cystic Fibrosis research. Every donation matters but spreading awareness is just as important. I've posted the link to our team page, which has our story and what the mission of Team Linky and the CFF is. I've also included some CF facts and info for y'all. I realized I can't ask you to spread awareness if you dont really know what CF even is or what Lincoln goes through everyday. If you will please forward to those you think might be interested or share on social media it would mean so much to us. Your money and time will be going towards a very important cause with Great Strides. Please help us add more tomorrows for Lincoln and all those fighting CF everyday. Help us make CF stand for Cure Found! AWe love you guys and are so thankful for your continued help!
-Also don't forget to click the link and register for this year! Can't wait to walk wit him everyone in May!!
• CF affects 30,000 people in the US and 70,000 world wide
• only 10 Babies are born with CF in Ga every year
• CF affects everyone organ in the body but especially the lungs and pancreas
• CF causes thick mucous to build up in the lungs which allows bacteria to become trapped and can lead to irreversible lung damage
• CF cause the pancreas to not function properly therefore they cannot absorb the proper nutrients from food. They require panceratic enzymes in order to eat.
• The average life expectancy for someone with CF is 38 (let that sink in) 38!
Here are some Linky CF facts:
• He takes 25 pills everyday just to be able to eat, that's 175 pills a week...
• Link does 2 hrs of vest therapy everyday and 4 hrs when he is sick. By the time he is 12 he will have done the equivalent of a yrs worth of therapy...
• He also does 3 inhaled breathing treatments with the vest and 1 inhaler
• He takes 4 oral medicines everyday
• He has to have extra salt bc in CF their bodies expel twice the Amt of salt as we do.
• Link require twice as many calories as we do so we must add extra fat and calories to everything he eats.
• something as small as a cold can land us in the hospital for 2 weeks of iv antibiotics (so wash your hands and stear clear of us when your sick)
All of this and Lincoln is 5!! CF has forced him to have to grow up much quicker than he should have and that is why we so desperately need a cure!! Please feel free to ask me any and all questions you may have about CF!!