Ok, I will be Captain Obvious. 2020 has thrown us all for a loop and is filled with uncertainty at every angle (see, told you I'd be Captain Obvious).
There are some things that remain the same, even during this pandemic:
1. Hayden still has cystic fibrosis (genetic disease, no cure, elite club of about 30,000 Americans).
2. He still takes at least 25 pills every day (breakfast=10, lunch=5, snacks=4, dinner=7).
3. Hayden still spends at least 1 hour every day doing airway clearance (nebulized meds and vibrating vest clear thick, sticky mucous from his lungs; BTW, treatments double if he has a cough).
4. He is still an amazing kid (despite CF; ok yes, I admit he's a teen, so sometimes I may or may not call that into question ;)).
5. And most of all, Hayden still needs a cure.
So despite the pandemic and the uncertainties we all face, fundraising for the CF Foundation on behalf of "Hayden's Team" continues to be critical. Hayden needs your donation today.
When you donate to the CF Foundation you give:
1. Funding for amazingly successful medical progress that has lengthened the lives of people living with CF (the average life expectancy of a child born with CF has doubled in the last 25 years due primarily to drug development sponsored and overseen by the CF Foundation! BTW, when Hayden was diagnosed, were told his life expectancy was be mid 30's)
2. Funding for innovative, ground breaking treatments that improve the lives of people living with CF (there are over 30 drugs and therapies in various stages of clinical trials!).
3, Hope (see that whole mid 30's thing above, ah, NOPE! NOT ACCEPTABLE).
4. One day, a cure (this is where the blowing horn emoji goes!)!
I know that many are facing economic difficulities right now. If you can spare $5, it will make a difference (and I will be grateful). Will you make a donation today?
And if you want to show your support by walking "with us" virtually on Sept. 27, Hayden's Team always has room for more teammates (or sit on your couch, deck, porch and "walk with us"; that works too).
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, indoor events sponsored by the CF Foundation are strictly prohibited at this time. Scheduled outdoor events must adhere to strict requirements to minimize the risk of COVID-19 infection. Events may be subject to change at any time based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local health officials.
IMPORTANT NOTE ON ATTENDANCE AT OUTDOOR FOUNDATION EVENTS:
To minimize the risk of COVID-19 infection, attendees at CF Foundation events must adhere to the following requirements:
Practice physical distancing and maintain at least a safe 6-foot distance from persons outside of their household at all times
Face masks strongly encouraged and expected to be worn in accordance with local guidelines. (Note, children under two years of age should not wear masks due to safety concerns and therefore should not attend CF Foundation events where there is risk of interacting with someone outside of their household.)
Follow basic infection, prevention and control practices by regularly washing hands with soap and water or with an alcohol-based hand gel, covering your cough or sneeze with a tissue or your inner elbow.
Persons with CF should consult their physician before participation in any in-person event as they may be at an increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19. People with CF should maintain a safe 6-foot distance from persons outside of their household at all times.