It is that time of year again - where Trey gets super excited about raising money for his buddy King!
But 2020 will be a banner year for our team...because this will be my 10th Great Strides season, my 10th year with the CF Foundation! In those ten short years, I've seen progress towards a cure for CF like no other disease.
Here are some updates:
1. The CF Foundation has made such amazing progress, and the FDA just approved Trikafta, our triple combination disease modifying medication for those living with cystic fibrosis - that means ONE PILL to stop the progression of the disease!
2. Trikafta will help us eventually have a disease "pausing" therapy (NOT A CURE) for 90% of our patients, which is historic!!! However it still doesn't help us reach all those living with CF (there are sooooo many different mutations of this disease!) - so we announced our Path to a Cure, an ambitious research agenda to accelerate treatments for the underlying cause of the disease for ALL those with CF and ultimately, deliver a cure. We have allocated $500 million between now and 2025, and we are issuing a call to the entire scientific community around the world to accelerate CF therapeutic development. Path to a Cure is just that - our path to an ultimate CURE for all those living with CF!
3. Trey's buddy King (lives in Chattanooga, is Trey's age, and has CF) struggled last year over the holidays with the disease, and had to spend Christmas in the hospital. Trey was devastated by this news - "MOM! Nobody should spend Christmas in the hospital! Will Santa be able to find him?!?!?!" Luckily Santa did find King, but Trey still doesn't want his friend to ever go through that again. Trikafta will eventually benefit King, but has to go through the FDA approval process for those under the age of 12. Our work will help King reach this milestone sooner!
4. Just over 50 years ago, CF was a story of no research and no treatments. Now, today, it is one of the most amazing stories in medicine. Talk about being efficient with funds and donations!
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
1. Come and walk with us! We will be at the Cove at Concord Park on Saturday May 2, 2020 from 9am-noon so please block your calendars, save the date, and sign up on the team and join us as we walk and raise funds to cure CF!
2. Pull out that credit card! Yep, I want your money. Any amount will help, so please consider helping me raise money for Great Strides. It will all be credited under "Trey's Team for King" and will help Trey reach his team goal!
3. Volunteer in the office - I ALWAYS NEED HELP! If you are in the Knoxville area and have some free time, please let me know and you can come visit the office and help me prep for the walk.
4. IF you are not local, but want to get more involved, I encourage you to search for a walk in your area. You can walk as an individual, join one of the teams in your area, or start a new team and get YOUR friends involved! We are a community and we cannot do this without the efforts of the group.
From the bottom of my heart, thank you so much. We will not rest until there is a cure for ALL those living with cystic fibrosis. #UntilItsDone
Let's make CF stand for Cure Found! THANK YOU!!!
Your gift is 100% tax deductible.