My Great Strides Story
In 2007, our son Michael was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis, a genetic disorder that causes severe digestive complications and life-threatening lung infections, among other serious medical conditions. In 2009, we welcomed another son to our family, Dylan, who was also diagnosed with CF. We were reminded of the gravity of this disease in 2010 and 2013 when Michael had to be treated with IV antibiotics in the hospital. In 2014, Michael was diagnosed again with two serious lung infections. He has been on and off antibiotics and other medications trying to beat them. And little brother Dylan, struggles with ongoing digestive complications daily as well as keeping his lungs healthy too. Both boys spent time in the hosptial over the summer of 2015 battling serious CF lung infections. At the start of 2016, Michael showed elevated blood sugar, so he had to start the process of checking his blood sugar to ensure we are monitoring for CF-related diabetes (CFRD). Both kids handle of whole lot at a very young age. Every day, they continue the fight.
We don't want our kids to have to endure one more day in a hospital in place of playing with friends or being at school. We have committed to doing all we can to ensure our boys live long, happy lives. We believe that we can continue to make a difference... with your help.
Much progress has been made toward finding a cure for Cystic Fibrosis... in 1960, kids were expected to live 10 years. Today, life expectancy is 37. But this is not a number we are willing to accept. In fact, there are potential drugs and treatments today which could address the basic defect of this disease!!! In 2012, the first drug every to treat the basic defect of CF was approved by the FDA! This was wonderful news for the CF community and an amazing feat. However, today this medication only helps 4% of the CF population. And we are keenly aware that Michael and Dylan are not among this 4%. There are drugs and therapies today that are dynamic and breaking the mold for not only CF, but genetic disorders as a whole. The CF Foundation is pioneering new tools and ideas with personalized medicine to help Michael and Dylan all those in the battle against CF.
And since, unfortunately, since CF is considered a rare disease, the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation relies on support from generous individuals and private donations to find a cure. With these remarkable medications and therapies on the horizon, our fundraising efforts are more important than ever. Time is ticking...
The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation's Great Strides Walk is our annual fundraiser.This year we will be honoring Michael and Dylan and raising money with the Great Strides Walk. We would love for you to support our team and help us raise money for research. We are hoping to raise over $40,000. THANK YOU to those who have helped in the past and we hope you can help again. Any amount, large or small, would make a difference for Michael and Dylan. A few ways you can help...
1. JOIN TEAM DEFALCO. Simply click the Join My Walk Team button on this page. Be sure to register for Chicago-Avery Field at Grant Park. On registration type, click the bullet, I am an individual signing up as a member of a team. Select Team DeFalco (Lou or Mary DeFalco). Even if you cannot walk that day, you can still raise money in support of our team.
2. DONATE HERE. Any amount can help us and making a donation is easy and secure! Just click the Click to Donate button on this page to go to make a donation that will be credited to my team. Donations are tax deductible.
3. DONATE VIA CHECK. Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for details on how to submit checks. Please make sure to ask your company or your spouse's company if they provide matching funds. Many companies will match your donation.
4. SHARE. Share on Facebook. Forward over email. Get the word out. The bigger our ripple in the pond, the more of an impact we can have.
5. JUST ASK. Ask friends, family, neighbors, coaches, sports teams, schools, and local businesses to open their hearts and donate generously. By simply asking, "How can you help?" is often enough to add a new walker or another donation.
Together, we can make a difference for Michael, Dylan and others with CF! Also, please feel free to share our team's website on to your friends and family who would be interested in helping the cause. We are forever grateful for your support and generosity.
Thank you, Mary DeFalco
"LIFE is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our BREATH away."
Please support me!
Help me reach my fundraising goal by donating to my Great Strides fundraising campaign. Your gift will help add tomorrows to the lives of people with cystic fibrosis by supporting life-saving research and medical progress. Your gift is 100-percent tax deductible.